Vance, South Carolina is a small town located in the heart of South Carolina. With a population of just over 4,000 people, Vance is a tight-knit community with many longtime residents and businesses. In terms of geography, Vance is located in the Midlands region of South Carolina. The town is situated on several hills and valleys that provide beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. The climate in Vance is mild to warm throughout the year with temperatures rarely reaching extreme levels.
In terms of history, Vance was first settled in 1786 by English settlers looking for a new home away from their homeland. These settlers built homes and businesses near a creek that ran through the area which eventually became known as Vance Creek. From its early beginnings, Vance has been an agricultural community with large cotton farms being established during the 19th century. In more recent times, Vance has become home to many small businesses and industries that have helped to bolster its economy.
Politics in Vance are dominated by the Republican Party who has held most offices since the town’s incorporation in 1883. However, there are some independent candidates that run for office every now and again who can make waves during election time due to their unique stances on certain issues.
The economy of Vance is largely based on agriculture and manufacturing but there are also several other industries such as retail stores and restaurants that help contribute to its overall economic health. The town also benefits from tourism as it has become a popular destination for visitors looking for outdoor activities such as fishing or camping along its scenic waterways or hiking trails through its lush forests and rolling hillsides.
Schools in Vance include two public elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school which provide excellent educational opportunities for local students to pursue their dreams no matter what they may be. Additionally, there are several private schools available as well as higher education options nearby at larger universities like Clemson University or Columbia College located just an hour away from Vance’s downtown area respectively..
Finally, some landmarks in Vance include historic sites such as Fort Hill Plantation (built in 1820), various churches dating back to colonial times such as St Mary’s Episcopal Church (built in 1790), old cemeteries like Fairview Cemetery (established 1856) or museums such as The Veterans Museum (founded 2018). There are also plenty of outdoor activities available around town including fishing spots along Lake Marion or biking trails around Mount Carmel Park which offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
Population: 208. Estimated population in July 2020: 202 (-2.9% change)
Males: 93 (44.7%), Females: 115 (55.3%)
Zip code: 29163
Median resident age: 33.0 years
Median household income: $16,250
Median house value: $43,900
Races in Vance:
- Black (84.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (14.4%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (5.3%), Irish (4.3%), United States (2.9%), English (1.4%).
Elevation: 135 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Vance, South Carolina is located in Orangeburg County and is home to a population of just over 500 people. The town was founded in 1887 and has a rich history that has been preserved by its residents. The population of Vance is primarily African-American with a small percentage of White and Hispanic residents.
The median household income in Vance is approximately $31,000 per year, which is lower than the national average. However, this does not mean that living costs are necessarily low. Despite the low median income, the cost of living in Vance remains higher than the national average due to its location near major cities like Columbia and Charleston. This means that goods and services may be more expensive than those in other rural areas. Housing prices are also higher than the national average due to the town’s proximity to these larger cities; however, there are still affordable housing options available for those looking for an affordable place to live. Additionally, utilities such as water and electricity are relatively inexpensive compared to other parts of South Carolina.
For population 25 years and over in Vance
- High school or higher: 62.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 39.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Vance town
- Never married: 28.7%
- Now married: 50.0%
- Separated: 5.3%
- Widowed: 14.7%
- Divorced: 1.3%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -6 (-2.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Vance:
- CLARENDON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; MANNING, SC)
- TRMC OF ORANGEBURG & CALHOUN (about 31 miles; ORANGEBURG, SC)
- TUOMEY (about 34 miles; SUMTER, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Vance:
- SHAW AFB (about 37 miles; SUMTER, SC; Abbreviation: SSC)
- MC ENTIRE ANGS (about 42 miles; EASTOVER, SC; Abbreviation: MMT)
- CHARLESTON AFB/INTL (about 47 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Abbreviation: CHS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Vance:
- HOLLY HILL (about 10 miles; HOLLY HILL, SC; Abbreviation: 5J5)
- ST GEORGE (about 19 miles; ST GEORGE, SC; Abbreviation: 6J2)
- SANTEE COOPER REGIONAL (about 19 miles; MANNING, SC; Abbreviation: MNI)
According to andyeducation, South Carolina has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Vance:
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; ORANGEBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,971)
- TRIDENT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 40 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 5,925)
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,191)
- MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA (about 56 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,162)
- COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON (about 56 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 9,756)
- CITADEL MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROLINA (about 57 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,701)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT COLUMBIA (about 57 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 19,682)
Public primary/middle school in Vance:
- VANCE-PROVIDENCE ELEMENTARY (Students: 374; Location: 633 CAMDEN ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)