Anyone who moves in the depths of the World Wide Web collects information, plays, gets to know people, works or has fun. As in real life, everything on the Internet is not perfect. Data is collected unnoticed and viruses and Trojans are transmitted. It is therefore important to read the tips on how to behave correctly and surf the Internet safely.
- Safe surfing requires active virus protection, current browser security settings, a firewall and careful behavior.
- It is possible to browse the internet anonymously.
What is internet surfing?
Anyone who surfs the Internet is usually looking for certain data. To do this, the person either moves around randomly on various websites or follows a series of links. The term internet surfing was coined by the American library scientist Jean Armor Polly. She published an article in 1992 in the University of Minnesota Wilson Library Bulletin called “Surfing the Internet”. As a user, you should be aware that you are leaving traces when you surf the Internet. Resourceful data dealers partially monetize this. You also expose your systems to various risks when you visit websites. See definitions of surfing on digopaul.
What hardware is necessary for Internet surfing?
In order to have access to the World Wide Web at all, you need an appropriate system. PCs, laptops, smartphones and tablets are suitable as basic equipment. It is now also possible to visit the Internet with game consoles such as the Playstation PS4.
Since 2016, according to a survey by ARD and ZDF, the smartphone has overtaken the laptop with 66 percent to 57 percent in Internet use. Around 84 percent of the population regularly use the network, with the connection being made using a telephone line, TV cable or cell phone network. You establish the connection with the end device via LAN cable, wireless LAN, Bluetooth or radio or the power grid.
Which bandwidth is recommended for fast internet surfing?
Depending on the region, high-speed connections with up to 400 Mbit per second are now available in the Federal Republic of Germany. Whether you really have to pay a lot of money for a high-speed connection depends on your usage behavior. For casual surfers who read e-mails at home or post on Facebook, an average DSL connection is usually sufficient . If you like to stream and watch exciting action films in HD quality on your laptop, you should choose at least DSL with a transmission rate of 16 Mbit / s. Flat shares and families with many children ideally invest in a connection from 50 Mbit / s for problem-free surfing. Pay attention to the capacity of your internet line: In some areas fast broadband internet is not yet offered.
How do you surf the Internet safely?
The basic requirements for uninterrupted surfing on the Internet include the following points:
- an up-to-date, active virus protection
- a firewall designed for Internet surfing
- a web browser that you regularly use to make security updates
- a browser in which you install or configure all security functions
- Be careful when installing add-ons or plug-ins
If you configure the browser manually, then choose, for example, the setting so that cookies are always automatically deleted as soon as you close the browser. Otherwise, providers collect and save your data when you have visited their pages.
How do you protect your personal data on the Internet?
If you want to move around the net anonymously, there are various options.
- To protect your data, you need a second email address that does not allow any conclusions to be drawn about your identity. You use this, for example, in the context of forum discussions.
- Use different search engines for research . An excellent alternative to Google & Co. is Ixquick or DuckDuckGo.
- Only enter sensitive data such as your account number on pages with SSL encryption. You can recognize these web pages by the abbreviation ” https “.
- In general, always think carefully about where you enter your personal information on the Internet. In particular, caution is advised in the case of dubious competitions.
How do you surf anonymously on the World Wide Web?
As you click through the various websites, you will be recognized by the IP address of your device. The IP address allows certain conclusions to be drawn about your identity based on your surfing behavior. This gives you the opportunity to determine your location. To surf anonymously, use a virtual private network, or VPN for short . This option enables encrypted communication by connecting your device to the VPN server. The IP address of your laptop, cell phone or tablet is then replaced by that of the VPN server used. There are both free and paid VPN providers that differ in terms of data volume and country selection, among other things.