Conversation is the action and effect of speaking one or more people with another or others. The term comes from the Latin conversatĭo and is often used as a synonym for dialogue or talk.
For example: “The governor had an extensive conversation with the victim’s father and promised to find the guilty”, “Yesterday I heard a conversation on the train where a woman told another that the president is going to resign”, “Could wait a minute, please? This is a private conversation. ”
A conversation implies establishing a communication.
Communication through a language
According to abbreviationfinder.org, the conversation supposes a communication through some type of language (oral, gestural, written, etc.). It implies an interaction where two or more people jointly build a text (unlike the monologue).
Specifically, for a conversation to exist, a series of fundamental elements must come into play. Specifically, among them are the following:
- Issuer, who is transmitting information.
• Receiver, who is the one who receives the aforementioned information.
• Message, which is what is transmitted, that is, that previously mentioned information.
• Code, which is the language in which the conversation takes place.
• Channel, which would be where the information passes.
• Context, which is the place where the message itself is given.
Requirements for the development of a conversation
In addition to all of the above, it is essential to be clear that for a conversation to come to fruition and be fruitful for the parties involved, a series of important requirements must be met:
- Both subjects must listen with interest to the other and, of course, pay mutual attention.
• It is vital not to interrupt the words of the person who is speaking.
• You must always maintain absolute tolerance towards the manifestations and opinions of the other individual who intervenes in the dialogue.
• From time to time, crack a smile.
• Sudden changes of topics should be avoided.
• Do not ignore the person with whom you are having a conversation.
• You have to speak clearly, with a tone of voice that is neither too high nor too low, it is essential to be brief and not use an aggressive or threatening tone.
There are informal conversations and formal conversations.
The appearance of noises
Likewise, we cannot ignore the fact that so-called noises can be produced within any conversation, which are all those elements that interfere and annoy it. Examples of this are the distractions between the participants, the fact that one of them rings the phone…
The context in which a conversation takes place determines its characteristics. An informal conversation usually revolves around several topics, without any previous organization. A formal conversation, on the other hand, requires a certain protocol.
Greetings are often the starting point of a conversation. Then come the questions (interrogative statements), since the conversation is usually carried out with the aim of requesting some type of information. In any case, there are also conversations where the main reason is to transmit some data without any questions being involved.
The intensity or emphasis of the dialogue is known as the tone of the conversation. A racy conversation is one where the participants argue or yell to defend their position. Keep in mind that a conversation can go through different tones before ending.